Social Programme


Turku City Reception
At Turku City Hall, address: Aurakatu 2 (see MAP for locations)
Thursday, 12 May 2011 at 19.30-21.00 

Turku City Hall is located by the River Aura. The building was planned by architect Charles Bassi and inaugurated in 1812. The Turku City Council has held its meetings in the City Hall since 1885. The building was originally completed for Turku (the capital of Finland at that time) to serve as its major hotel and restaurant facility, the first of its kind in the Grand Duchy. The original style of the main building was Neo-Classicism. The important people of the city enjoyed many memorable balls and theatre performances at the hall. The club room survived unscathed from the Big Fire of Turku in 1827. Due to the Big Fire, also the Turku Court used the building until 1830. In 1878, the hotel activity ceased and the city acquired the ownership of the building. The former “pub” and hotel thus became the new "town hall" and between 1883 - 1885 it was renoveted in Neo-Renaissance style. Between 1964-1965 the former ballroom dance hall was transformed to council chamber. 
The reception is free of charge but please preregister!

Turku City Hall

Conference Dinner
Friday, 13 May 2011 at 19.30 
at VPK:n talo, address: Eskelinkatu 5

VPK:n talo (Volunteer Fire Brigade House) was designed by architect Karl Viktor Reinius and the building was completed in 1892. The building is an example of typical Neo-Renaissance style of construction. VPK:n talo  has many nicknames among Turku citizens: Prankkari, Brankkari, Prankku or Brankku.

VPK:n talo was not built solely for its own purposes, but also to serve as a party venue for the townspeople. Population in Turku at the time was about 30 000 people. From the house’s guest book you can find many well-known names. Among Finnish persons, such as Jean Sibelius and Oskar Merikanto, for instance Josephine Baker performed there.

In November 2011, the "Brankku" completed its elevator and entrance modifications and the whole building is now wheelchair accessible.
Tickets à 65 Eur

VPK:n talo, kuva (C) Juhani Hallo

 

Visit to Kakola - A special guided tour
Saturday 14 May , 17.30 pm – (two hours)
Bus transportation from City Centre. The bus leaves at 17.30 from the Aurakatu street, by the City Hall, address: Aurakatu 2.

Prison's old buildings are mostly from the second half of the 1800s. The granite main building took eight years to build, and it was completed in 1853. The county prison building was completed in 1890. The granite for the main building came from Kakola's own land.

For awhile, Kakola served also as an army barracks but was re-introduced as a prison again in 1859. The official number of beds was 350, but there were located more than 400 people. Only half of the cells had an indoor toilet.

Kakola served as a prison until the new prison was opened in September 2007. The plans for developing the area around the old protected prison buildings are still open. Some plans have been presented to transform the Kakola Hill into a housing estate. The protected prison buildings, as well as the area around it, will hopefully offer many kinds of new uses such as retail and office spaces as well as cultural and tourism activities.

Kakola was opened in summer 2008 for the first time for the general public. Guided tours take the visitors to gloomy segregation cells as well as to prison church.

From the main building's top floors, you can admire the Turku archipelago.

The two hours round takes the visitors first to the actual massive Kakola granite castle and through there, to the day time cell and special safety night time cell departments. Then you climb up to the sixth floor to admire the panoramic views. On the ground floor there are the cells of the many murderers.

Tickets à 30 Eur (note! Comfortable walking shoes recommended)
(min. 15 participants, max. 50 participants)

Kakola prison, image from Wikipedia

 

OTHER ATTRACTIONS AND PLACES TO VISIT IN THE CITY                 

Starting from (…in case of needing cash…)

Restaurant Old Bank

A distinguished old bank serving now as a very popular bar with a good selection of wines and beers. See also the treasure lockers downstairs – now serving as restrooms!
Address: Aurakatu 3
www.oldbank.fi

                            

Restaurant Puutorin Vessa – Bar-Pub the Old Public Toilet

A very peculiar spot in Turku, originally served as a public toilet for those waiting for busses. Now privately owned by a famous Turku radio personality. The bar has a nice atmosphere – this is something you must try!
Address: Puutori
www.puutorinvessa.fi

 

And after that - in case of needing help with your headache?

Ravintola Uusi Apteekki – Bar-Pub New Pharmacy

Originally an old pharmacy, now a privately owned pub with its own brewery. Many artists and street philosophers spend their time there – also a famous Turku citizen, detective story writer Reijo Mäki gets his inspiration from there.
Address: Kaskenkatu 1
www.uusiapteekki.fi


Still wishing to learn more?

Ravintola Koulu – Restaurant School
Address: Eerikinkatu 18 
http://www.panimoravintolakoulu.fi

A traditional  Swedish speaking old school now turned to a  bar and restaurant. There is also a nice wine bar with a high quality selection of excellent wines and a small shop to buy some items connected to wine wisdom.

Koulu (School) is the largest brewery restaurant in Finland and the most specialized of Turku's pubs. In the downstairs pub, you can sample the house beers, a light pilsner or dark bavarian. On the second floor you find a gorgeous assembly hall and a dining room where you can enjoy tasty food. They also have a large outdoor area. The style is casual and relaxed.

 

MUSEUMS

Aboa Vetus Ars Nova
Address:Itäinen Rantakatu 4-6
http://www.aboavetusarsnova.fi/en


Aboa Vetus is built around an excavated medieval city block. The discovery of a part of old Turku during renovation work on the Rettig Palace took even the archaeologists by surprise. Now the public can see the medieval city just as it was uncovered, and a museum rich in experience has been created around it. Archaeological findings are complemented by a variety of multimedia programs. The multimedia presentations also allow you to walk the streets of medieval Turku, sail up the River Aura to Turku Cathedral and learn e.g. how archaeologists examine the bones they find.
Ars Nova means New Art and, as its name implies, exhibits the art of our times. The museum is located on two floors of the old Rettig Palace. The Matti Koivurinta Foundation's own collections showcase the works of the top 20th century Finnish and foreign artists.

Wäinö Aaltonen Museum (with a bar Café Wäinö)
http://www.wam.fi/eng/
Address: Itäinen Rantakatu 38.

The most significant single component in the City's collection comprises the sculptures, paintings, graphics and drawings by the sculptor Wäinö Aaltonen, fellow of the Finnish Academy of Arts, donated to the City in conjunction with the establishment of the Wäinö Aaltonen Museum. Some of this basic collection is permanently on display in the Museum, see also  http://www.wam.fi/waen/teokset.htm. At present, the total Collection includes approximately 4500 works, of which about half are sited in public offices, hospitals, schools and other public buildings in the City.


Turku
City Art Museum (with a bar café Victor)
http://www.turuntaidemuseo.fi/00en/index.shtml
Address: Aurakatu 26

The Turku Art Museum, situating  just across the market place, on one of the city´s seven hills, a central part of the art life in Turku since 1904, has been re-opened to the general public. Renovated and modernized the museum is again able to exhibit its collection that has become a national treasure, history of art as well as topical and interesting contemporary art phenomena.

Pharmacy Museum and Qwensel House
Address: Läntinen Rantakatu 13


Qwensel House is the oldest surviving bourgeois house in Turku, dating back to about 1700. Its Rococo and Gustavian interiors present the lifestyle of the well-to-do in that period.                  
The shop wing houses the Pharmacy Museum, which provides insight into the history of the pharmacy institution and the self-sufficient practice of pharmacy in the early 19th century. The cafe and herbalist’s shop in the courtyard are open in the summer.


Luostarinmäki Handicrafts Museum

Address: Vartiovuorenkatu 2
www.museumcentreturku.fi

The Luostarinmäki Handicrafts Museum is an outdoor museum that offers information, specimens of skill and experiences in an original pre-industrial environment. Visitors will step 200 years back in time at the museum. The area serves as Turku's handicrafts history and outdoor museum. Over 30 workshops from different fields of craftmanship display the City's handicrafts history and craftsmen's dwellings. Luostarinmäki is unique due to its old buildings and its workshops that have been furnished by handicrafts masters. Luostarinmäki is the "Old City" of Turku since it is the only unified part of the City that survived the conflagration of 1827.

During the summer season, the museum's workshops have craftsmen working there every day. The museum's shops, postal office and cafeteria serve customers round the year. The Handicrafts Museum is an internationally renowned tourism attraction. In 1984, the museum was awarded the "Golden Apple" prize by FIJET, the tourism industry writers and reporters association.